During the winter months, central heating is an absolute necessity in order to keep warm and cozy. Without a properly working furnace, your family is not only at risk of being uncomfortable and cold, but it can actually be life threatening as well. When temperatures dip below freezing here in Michigan, you rely on your heating system to stay safe. So we understand the urgency behind a malfunctioning furnace and we’re here to provide quality maintenance and repair services to the greater Marquette area.
Looking to upgrade your furnace? Consider our furnace installation services for a long-term solution to your heating needs.
How to Tell If Your Furnace Needs Repairs
When your furnace begins malfunctioning, it’s strongly advised to seek professional help as soon as the problem arises to prevent any permanent damage. If you’re unsure about whether your furnace needs repairs or a totally new replacement, here are the telltale signs that usually point to repairs:
- No Heat: One of the most obvious symptoms of a malfunctioning heater is a furnace that won’t produce heat. There are many reasons a furnace might stop generating heat such as a broken thermostat or a leaking duct. When your furnace stops doing its job, it’s time to call a furnace repair service.
- Odd Smells: When you turn on your furnace for the first time, it’s common for it to emit a temporary smell of the fuel it's powered by. However, if the smell doesn’t go away or the odor starts abruptly, there may be a larger issue at hand. Common reasons a furnace may emit abnormal smells are problems such as a gas leak or trapped debris. A gas leak can be extremely dangerous so when you start smelling odd odors, it’s advised to call a professional right away.
- Faulty Pilot Light: A properly working furnace will produce a pilot light that is the color blue. So if your pilot light suddenly turns yellow or another color, there may be a ventilation problem present. The presence of carbon monoxide will also affect the pilot light so it’s important to pay attention to the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning to prevent any health issues.
- Bad Air Quality: Your furnace is constantly blowing air throughout your home. So if not properly maintained, dust, bacteria, and other debris are liable to travel through the ducts and enter your home through vents which can seriously take a toll on your family’s health.
- Strange Noises: Although furnaces are not silent, a properly functioning furnace will not emit loud, disruptive noises unless there is an issue. Squealing and whistling noises may signal a fan issue while loud banging noises can mean components of the system are loose or damaged.
At Swick Home Services, are your Marquette heating experts. Be sure to ask about our alternative heating solutions including radiant heating!
The Importance of Maintenance
The most effective way to avoid finding yourself in an emergency situation is by keeping up with routine furnace maintenance. There are many reasons why you should make annual furnace maintenance service a part of your routine. These reasons include but are not limited to:
- Early Detection: A broken furnace can pose great health risks if carbon monoxide is present or a gas leak occurs. Routine maintenance services can detect early on if your home is experiencing any of these life-threatening occurrences.
- Energy Efficiency: A furnace makes up about half your energy bill. So imagine how much energy a malfunctioning furnace is consuming while it struggles to do its job. During maintenance service, a trained technician will be able to detect any problems with your furnace that may be eating up excess energy.
- Peace Of Mind: Nothing is worse than when your furnace abruptly stops working during the peak of winter. By keeping up with routine maintenance, you can have peace of mind knowing your furnace will properly do its job all winter long.
We’re Here to Help You
Here at Swick Home Services, we provide quality furnace repair and maintenance service to the greater Marquette area. No matter what your issue, our knowledgeable technicians will be there to get to the root of the problem and create long-lasting solutions that work for you! As homeowners in the area, we understand how important fast furnace repairs are. That’s why we’re always available when you need us, keeping your home comfortable and your family safe.