Indoor Air Pollutants To Watch Out For
There’s nothing better than taking a deep breath of fresh, clean air at home. But, unfortunately, most homes don’t have the best quality of air. There are plenty of dangerous air pollutants that float around a home’s air, but some pollutants are worse than others. Luckily, there are some ways homeowners can identify these conditions and also combat them. Explore the three most common contaminants that lurk in the air and degrade a home’s air quality.
#1 - Excessive Moisture
Chances are, most homeowners know that humidity can cause problems in a home. But what may come as a surprise is that excessive moisture is a dangerous pollutant in a home’s air. The average home should have humidity levels of about 30-50%; anything more than that is harmful to a home’s occupants.
When the air has excessive moisture, bacteria or mold thrives. As a result, individuals with asthma or other respiratory problems may find it difficult to breathe in the home. In addition, allergies, colds, and other illnesses become more prolific in such environments. Also, excess moisture can be a breeding ground for mold, which can lead to other significant costs to remove it later on.
# 2 - Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Probably one of the most common pollutants in a home’s air is VOCs. Volatile Organic Compounds are generally human-made chemicals that can react with other gases in the air to create a cocktail of dangerous chemicals. Common VOCs include pesticides, paint, and gasoline.
VOCs do more than just dirty the air of a home. VOCs irritate the eyes, nose, and sinuses of a home’s occupants. They can also trigger respiratory problems and lead to cancer. This is especially true for homeowners and families that already have pre-existing conditions such as asthma or allergies.
#3 - Carbon Monoxide
Most people know that carbon monoxide is dangerous, but there’s a common misconception that the home is usually safe from carbon monoxide. But dozens of household appliances and materials introduce carbon monoxide into the house, including gas stoves, dryers, and fireplaces.
Too much carbon monoxide can kill. Carbon monoxide poisoning is considered the silent killer. It presents itself as a case of severe confusion, dizziness, and loss of consciousness. As such, if there’s reason to suspect a gas leak, quickly gather all occupants of a home and contact a local gas inspector.
For homeowners that are concerned about improving their home’s indoor air quality, reach out to a reputable HVAC company for help. They can identify any pollutants in the house and help select from various solutions to fix the problem.
About Swick Home Services
Since 1977, the team at Swick Home Services has strived to provide quality HVAC solutions for Marquette, MI Homeowners. They know how stressful a broken heater or damaged AC can be for a home, which is why they offer 24/7 support to help their clients when they need it most. Call today for air quality services!